Thursday, July 2, 2009

AFL Grass roots footy

Kids are doing the Kevin Sheedy Footy Camp in Melbourne this week. It is based in Parkville and its kids from tackas to teens and all between. Interesting there is also a residential program at International House for country and interstate kids that seems popular.

So what has a kids Aussie Rules camp got to do with sports travel and sports tours? Well I spend allot of time online at http://www.sportsnetholidays.com trying to sell AFL travel packages to Melbourne and AFL Grand Final Packages, and when I am not doing selling AFL Grand Final ticket packages on the site I am doing it in Google. All in all it is technical and a lot of time. So it was great to see the kids out there having fun in one of the few times that I have seen that grass roots footy comes together with mainstream AFL.

There were a heap of players & coaches there helping the kids and having fun. How often does a kid get to talk to Presty form the Pies or do a ruck drill with Eddie Betts ? It is not often you see Pagan or Laidley looking relaxed but they were (according to my kids). It was bugging me, why is this so different what is the buzz that is so good around the place. I have been to allot of footy with my boys, the feel was not professional footy like AFL home and away or Port Melbourne vs. The Bullants ,and it wasn’t NAB Auskick or Fitzroy Junior Football Club vs. Brunswick or The Community Cup.

I still don’t know what it is but I think it was the real footballers (kids and a few wide eyed Dads) & the young guys running the Kevin Sheedy Footy Camp combined with the professional footballers and coaches together in a non commercial atmosphere. Everyone was having fun, no press, no sponsors, no logos, no booze, no boff heads and hangers on, just youngsters enjoying their footy and grown up youngsters now living the dream as players & coaches.

No comments: